Grade: Medium Trek
The locals here often say it Zanskar is our pride and Chadar trek is our lifeline during winters, and without them we are nothing. Experience the pride and prestige of the Zanskari people, battle the harsh climatic conditions as the mercury takes an extreme dip. Connect with the locals just like the confluence of Indus and Zanskar, understand their life saving techniques during the winter climate. You will not find them complaining to Almighty for remaining isolated from the rest of the countries but it gives the honor and opportunity to spend most of their time with the family and friends, sipping the Namkeen Chai and enjoying life. Chadar is mostly walking on ice sheets formed from the flowing water river of Zanskar and surviving in the drastic cold climate. Learn about the mountain ghost stories and the deities which protects the Zanskaris from failing during the winter harsh climate. Understand the attitude and spirit of keep going, no matter what and experience the most adventurous and thrill kicking trek of your life.
- Do note that during winters, the only way to get to Leh is through flight. Make sure you book an early flight and land at Leh by noon.
- Do not rush at the last minute and book your flight months prior to avail cheaper rates
- Since Leh is situated at an height of 11,800 feet, the strong cold winds will welcome you as soon you leave the plane. Make sure you have your gloves, jacket and woolen cap handy.
Booking Started for Jan 2020
Day 01: Arrival Leh Ladakh.
Leh treats your eyes with its beauty as soon as you arrive. Did you know that Leh Airport is the highest airport in the world? Located at an altitude of more than 3500 metres (11,500 ft.) above sea level. If you arrive at Leh during the winter you will notice that there is a lot of cool air as soon as you arrive at the airport and you will be amazed looking at the snow-clad mountains around you. After this fantastic view we head towards the hotel for an overnight stay
Day 02: Acclimatization Day
When we are at a new place sometimes we need some time for the familiarisation with the climate and the weather and hence acclimatization is much needed in Leh. To get use to the climate and the weather conditions in Leh, trekkers doing the Chadar Trek should be at least spend two days in Leh for the body to get fully acclimatized to weather conditions in Leh. This is a compulsion and a regulation which must be followed by every trekker for his health. On this day trekkers can enjoy the nearby places and take a city tour.
Day 03: Medical check-up at SNM Hospital
The Chadar Trek requires, a medical check up to ensure that you are physically fit for the trek. The government has made it mandatory for the trekkers to receive a medical certification before doing the Chadar Trek. After a clearance certificate issued by the authorities, after the medical check-up, the participant is allowed to undertake the Chadar Trek.
Day 04: Trek from Shingra Koma to Tsomo Paldar
Good Moring Trikoners! Today we proceed toward the Chadar Trek after having a scrumptious breakfast. After driving to Shingra Koma we trek till Tsomo Paldar. The duration of the drive will be Drive 65 kms, 4 – 5 hrs. / 3 kms trek 2 hrs. During this drive, you will be enchanted by the view of the Indus River. Along the drive you will see the Indus River where the confluence of Indus and Zanskar River meets at Nimoo Village. With the enormous mountains piercing the sky the view here looks promising. After getting off the vehicle, we start trekking towards Somo Paldar campsite. The Chadar Trek journey will begin from here. After reaching the camp our experts explain and provide you all the important information you need to know to defend yourself from the freezing climate. Isn’t it a traveller’s dream to lay back in nature’s arm sipping a hot coffee? Now this is the moment where this dream will come true. Surrounded by huge peaks all around here you can take a short trek into the mountains to see a frozen river which gives a magical effect along with the ambiance of the place. We spend the night in the tent after dinner.
Day 05 - Trek Tsomo Paldar to Tibb (15kms / 7-8 hrs):
Waking up in Mother Nature’s arms is a truly a blessing. After the breakfast and a cup of hot tea in the cold climate it is time to gear up for a trek to the Tibb Caves. The trail to the Tibb Caves is just like a sense from a movie. Snow clad mountain and waterfalls.
After the lunch on the midway, we will reach the Tibb Campsite after walking for few hours. You will be spending a night in a tent at the mountain side. All the shutter bugs make sure you make the most of this opportunity!
Day 06 - Tibb to Nerak (13kms/ 6-7 hrs)
Wake up early in the morning and get ready by 8 am after breakfast. Do not forget to greet the mountains and get ready to look forward to a day filled with a lot of thrill and beautiful sightseeing. Today’s day is all about mountains, ice trails and the Chadar – Nerak frozen waterfalls.
After we start the trail, we will see few caves in mountains, used by the Zanskari Folks since centuries as their shelters. The view of the valley from the trail looks amazing. Soon we will reach the frozen waterfall. Grab this opportunity to click pictures, stroll or just sit back and admire nature.
Rest for the day at the Nerak Camp.
Day 07 - Trek Naerak to Tibb (13kms / 5-6 hrs)
Start the retune journey today. The trail consist of frozen river forms and deforms with the changing temperature. The picturesque view will give chills along with the cool breeze.
Return back to Tibb Camp for an overnight stay.
Day 08 - Tibb to Shingra Koma & Back to Leh (9kms Trek 5-6kms/ 75kms drive, 4-5 hrs)
Good morning Trikoners!
Today we will be at the starting point of Chadar and then back to Leh. On the way you will astonished by the view of the valley, mountains and the frozen river. To add to the excitement of this trek, you may also find the pugmarks of animals like Ibex or Snow leopard on the way. In the evening we will drive back to Leh.
As you have accomplished the challenging trek, you will feel pride and it will be a cherished memory of your life. You have learnt the techniques and skill to survive in harsh extreme weather condition and also have witnessed the hard life the ZANSKARI people are facing, the respect and encouragement for the Zanskari people bravely fighting the odds, surviving and defeating and accepting the will definitely teach you a lifetime lesson to remember.
Day 09 - Tuesday , 22nd January 2019 - Departure from Leh
All things end at a certain point and so does this beautiful journey. Pack up as it is time for our return journey. Depart to Leh KBR Airport. After accomplishing this difficult trek we hope you have a lot of memories to take back home and to cherish for life. We hope you have learned many trekking techniques along the journey which will prove to be useful in all
Things to Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- Backpack or Haversack – If you are offloading your Haversack, you will need a small daypack to carry your basic essentials
- Good trekking shoes and a pair of slip-ons, if required for campsite
- Trekking pole – Always advisable to carry for extra grip and support
- 2 Water Bottles (1 litre each)
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves and a pair of waterproof gloves
- Cotton socks and woolen socks (5 and 3 pairs respectively)
- 1 Down feather/Hollofil jacket
- Balaclava, Woolen scarf – If you do not have a Balaclava, you can carry Monkey cap instead
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket, Snow Jacket or Padded Jacket (1 each)
- Windcheater or Poncho
- 2-3 pairs of trek pants
- 3 collared and full sleeved t-shirts – Do not carry loose t-shirts as they tend to make you feel cold
- Ready to eat snacks, Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D Powder – Carry nuts, dryfruits, energy bars to munch during the trek. They provide instant energy whenever it hits the lower base.
- Cap, Sunglasses – Do ensure that your sunglasses are UV Protected. Do not carry reflectors. If you wear spectacles, carry photo chromatic glasses. Please do not wear contact lenses for this trek
- Headlamp/LED Torch – Mandatory
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume – Please consult your doctor in this regard.
TERMS & CONDITION:
► Leaders’ decision shall be final and abiding to all, till completion of the trek/ programme.
► Smoking, Chewing tobacco & consumption of Alcohol is strictly not allowed on the trek/ programme.
► Everyone is expected to follow safety protocols defined by the leaders.
► Polluting trek route/ campsite of the destination is strictly prohibited.
► Acknowledge that the photographs taken during the activity which can be used for publicity purposes. Your consent to let organisers photograph you and let them to use for publicity purposes and also consent to allow organisers to use the photograph clicked by you for publicity purposes.
► There is a possibility of injury during activities and programs and you are aware that outdoor activities bears inborn risk of
► You are joining an outdoor activity where any incident/ Natural calamity may happen and you agree that the organiser shall not be held responsible for any accident, mishap (including death) caused by any circumstances (artificial or natural).
► During an emergency situation, your consent to any medical treatment recommended by a qualified medical practitioner (this could include inoculations, blood transfusions, surgery or the use of anaesthetic). Read *Medical Disclaimer*
► Realise that a certain level of acceptable behaviour is mandatory to participate in outdoor activities and that you may be excluded from activities if this level is not maintained. You acknowledge event leaders right to expel you from the group if you does not follow instructions of the leader/ misbehave. Further you consent once you are expelled from the group;
organisers & leaders does not owe any kind of liability towards you.
► If the participant does not agree with any part of such terms, conditions and notices, the participant must not avail our Services.
► Travel Trikon has all authority to make any changes/ cancel the events/ programmes without prior notice.
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance and drugs is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Anybody found consuming alcoholic drinks and drugs will be expelled from the event without refund.
However please note that, Smoking in Public is strictly banned and a punishable offence.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation in Guest house/ Hotel in Leh on the 1st to 3rd Day and the last day and rest camping in Dome Tents during the treks according to the itinerary (Twin/ Triple/ Quadruple sharing as per availability)
- All Meals during the trek (only Veg)
- Well experienced and qualified local trek leader and the support staff.
- First aid kit plus oxygen cylinder.
What is NOT included in the tour
- Airport pickup and drop.
- Leh Permit, Government Fees, Medical cost and any other fees as applicable. ( Around INR 4000 - 5500 Extra )
- Any kind of Personal expenses viz. packaged water bottles, Soft drinks, Laundry, etc.
- Meals during stay at Leh
- Travel insurance.
- Porters to carry personal luggage.
- Tips, Local Sightseeing and anything which is not specifically mentioned in the cost inclusions.
- Any additional Expenses/ cost incidental to any change in the itinerary / stay caused by reason beyond our control such as Natural Calamities (Land Slides, Floods etc.), any accidents, medical evacuations, riots, strikes, evacuation costs, flight cancellation, etc.
- Participants who returns in the middle of trek for any kind of reason whatsoever once we leave for same from Leh, shall bear all the cost including transportation back to Leh, stay at Leh, food etc.
- Any kind of refund for unutilised tour plan services.
- Any other tax or service charge, stay charge that could be enforced during this period will be extra and need to be borne by Participants.
- Any service not specifically mentioned in the Includes sections.