Thanale Caves Trek
Thanale Caves located near Sudhagad in Raigad district. It’s a group of 23 Buddhist caves, belonging to first century B.C including 2 chaityas, 2 stupas and viharas. One of the caves has 13 stupas, which were meant for monk walks during their devotional ceremony. Cave No 7 being the most beautiful one are looked as the masterpieces of architecture and engineering. It has interesting Archs and other carvings with figure of men, women and animals. These caves are beautiful historical site which finds its mention in the list of protected monuments of Archaeological Survey of India. Few caves have been blocked due to the cave roof collapse. It is said that Vasudev Balwant Phadke stayed in Thanale caves during the fight against Britishers.
Come onboard and be a part of this exciting and adventurous but an easy grade trek which is suitable for beginners with good endurance. The trail through the dense forest is tricky and confusing; make sure you stick to your group throughout the trek. Trek to Thanale caves from the base village will take approximately 2 hours. Thanale caves are located at the foot of the cliff, which are clearly visible from the waterfall. These caves were left in isolation after the decline of Chaul as port when trade routes were altered during the end of 5th century. It was rediscovered in 1890 by a missionary J. A. Abbot
What is included in the tour
- Transport by Private Non Ac Bus
- Food: Breakfast & Evening Snacks
- Trikon Trekking Expertise Charges
- Travel Trikon expertise charges
What is NOT included in the tour
- Personal expenses
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions
- Stunning view of 23 ancient rock cut caves
- Peaceful jungle trail amidst the chirping of birds.
- Reliving history as you see the stone carvings and paintings done on the walls and ceiling inside the cave
- Witness the ancient Buddhist culture through their sculptures
Day 1 : 21st January , Sunday Morning
- 06:00 am : Meet Travel Trikon at Kotak Mahindra Atm near Pritam Hotel Dadar (E)
- 06:20 am : Pickup Point : K star Mall , Chembur East
- 06:40 am : Pickup Point : Vashi Below Main Bridge
- 07:00 am : Pick Up Point : Hotel 3 Star, Kharghar
- 09:00 am : Breakfast at Pali
- 09:30 am: Reach the base village Thanale and after a short introduction of all the fellow trekkers start trekking.
- 11:30 am: Enjoy the amazing beauty of Sahyadris along the route to reach the caves
- 12:00 pm: Reach Caves , Take rest, Start exploring the caves
- 1:30 pm: Allow yourself a delicious lunch treat and probably a power nap it time permits
- 2:00 am: Start descending towards the Thanvale Village
- 4:00 pm: Reach the base and start the journey back home.
- 05:00 pm: Evening Snacks on the way to Mumbai
- 09:00 pm: Back to Mumbai, hopefully on time with no traffic jams.
Things to Carry
- ID Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Packed lunch
- Camera (Optional)
- Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & Biscuits
- Extra Pair of Clothes (if required)
- Clean napkin or small towel
- Mosquito repellant
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Haversack or Backpack (No sling bags)
- Please carry medicines if you need any
- Hand Sanitizer
- Identity Card
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.