Feel the essence of fresh winter snow upon lush green meadows as you begin your journey upon a road earmarked by tall pine trees. A carpet of leaves of the darkest brown will greet you at the very outset. Make sure to freeze your initial view of a frozen lake encompassing the campsite in your lens. It will take a while to reach the summit, but oh! the complete 360 degree view of snow clad peaks of the Garhwal Himalayas is sure to take your breathe away.
- Those joining from Delhi, please meet the Travel Trikon Team at 11:30 PM on December 28, 2018 at New Delhi Railway Station. From thereon, we shall board ‘12205 – Nanda Devi Express‘ and leave for Dehradun which departs at 11:50 PM.
- For departures, those chosing option 1, it is advisable to book a flight only after 10.00 AM on Day 8
- Do note Missing the train means missing the event, no refunds would be entertained by Travel Trikon
What is included in the tour
- Stay in comfortable, clean and hygienic tents and guesthouse (Triple sharing basis)
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner from Day-3 to Day-6
- Travel cost from Delhi to Dehradun and back (Option 1 and 2)
- Dinner on Day 2
- Breakfast on Day-7
- First aid medical kits and medical assistance during the trek
- Professional trek leads, event management fees and support staff
What is NOT included in the tour
- Cost Escalation due to natural reasons, obstructions, landslides etc.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the trek
- Offloading of bags during the trek
- Travel cost of arrival and departure from Delhi
- Breakfast and Lunch on Day 1 and Day 2
- Lunch and dinner costs on Day 7 and Day 8
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusion
- Surreal trek through the glistening white snow covered mountains
- Get to touch the sky and get an eye level view of the famous mountain summits
- Astronomy and Astrophotography is best done here where the glittering stars and stretched milky way ornament the sky at night
- The frozen Juda-Ka-Talab situated in the clearing of the forests of Oak and Maple creating a perfect picnic spot
- Celebrate the first rays of the New Year at the Summit
- Drive through “Queen of Hills” –Mussoorie and reach the astonishing village of Sankri located on a hill slope
Day 1: December 28, 2018 – Fly into Delhi and board the train. Off the beaten road and away from the madding crowd, we are off to feel the kiss of the cold winter clouds of Dehradun.
Day 2: December 29, 2018 –We begin our 200-km drive from Dehradun to Sankri (will take a minimum of 10-11 hours, so hold tight to those reigns) and enjoy this different beckoning of the winters!
Day 3: December 30, 2018 – Nearing the year’s closure and we are already on our way to Juda – Ka - Talab – a 4 km trek but we have 4 hours to see if we did get any Christmas gifts!
Day 4: December 31, 2018 – It’s New Year’s eve and a surprise waits for you and of course the 4km-2.5-hour trek to Kedarkantha base camp to look forward to.
Day 5: January 1, 2019 –..and up the snow capped peak we go – let’s see the first sunrise; a 6km (6-7 hours) long descend back to base
Day 6: January 2, 2019 - End game guys as we begin our trek back from Base to Sankri – a 6 km- 4 hour trek. Celebrate the success late into the night.
Day 7: January 3, 2019 – We begin our return journey back to civilization
Day 8: January 4, 2019 –..and it’s a wrap people as we finish our breakfast and depart for the capital from for Delhi.
Day 1: December 28, 2018 – Flight from Mumbai to Delhi and/or Train Journey from Delhi to Dehradun (6 hours)
Meet the Travel Trikon Team at the New Delhi Railway Station. From one city to another city, hop on your Hogwarts Express and say adios to the never sleeping cities as you will be entering the magical world of Dehradun. As the night dawns upon us, make some connections with the fellow trekmates as they are your extended family for next 7 days. Listen to their mountain stories and spread nothing but good vibes.
Day 2: December 29, 2018 - Drive from Dehradun to Sankri (200kms; 10-11 hours)
Our drive to Sankri begins. The banks of the River Tons are a treat by themselves, especially so as they slowly give way to the ‘Queen of Hills’ (a.k.a Mussoorie). Take a moment to take it all in. It will be late in the evening when we will reach the base village. We know the excitement of the following day may just keep you up, but tired eyes may not get you very far. So enjoy a scrumptious meal and tuck in before the adventure begins!
Day 3: December 30, 2018 - And it begins from Sankri to Juda-Ka-Talab (4 kms; 4-5 hours) , Altitude: 6,400ft – 9,100ft
And so it begins…the trail to Juda ka Talab starts with a steep climb until we reach a ridge. It evens out soon after and spans out for almost the rest of the journey. A leaf out of a fairy tale, you will get to experience a short walk across wooden bridges, look across snow covered grounds that lay home to a few huts and cottages. It says, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and the beauty of the Kedarkantha trail magnifies as the ascent increases. Do keep an eye open for the Himalayan Langurs as they swing merrily between trees.
Day 4: December 31, 2018 - Juda-ka-Talab to Kedarkantha Base (4 kms; 2.5 hours) , Altitude: 9,100 – 11,250ft
Start slow but make sure to finish strong! We begin day 3 with a slight climb up a ridge that also opens up into the darkest part of the pine forest (the constant companion to your stay in the hills). The climb will often be frequented by multiple clearings and expansive open meadows. You will ignore the beads of sweat lining your forehead as you gulp in the panoramic view of snow clad ranges encompassing the Kedarkantha Peak. The trio ranges of the Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag and Ranglana stand out. As the night descends, it is the view of the picturesque “Milky Way” that is going to fill your souls, and of course the anticipation of the summit climb that awaits.
Day 5: January, 2019 – Hit the Summit, descend down to Kedarkantha Base (6 kms; 6-7 hours) Altitude: 11,250ft – 12,500ft , Descent 11,250ft
On our day 4, the first of the many views will be that of the summit as we begin our ascent from camp. It is a gentle trail up and soon after a short dip, it circles back to into the depth of an oak forest (just for a little while-so make sure you let the Bollywood in you come out a little). The climb to the summit takes place through the northern ridge and includes a series of switchbacks to reach the Kedarkantha temple. After paying respects, it is then time to feel the fresh snow of the summit that offers a clear view of the Gangotri, Yamunotri and the Kinner Kailash ranges. Celebrate the new year at the summit! Just let the beauty of nature flow into your veins. We will not hurry you as you look around and gulp in the beauty of the snow-capped peaks and the whiteness of snow.
We return to the base camp by lunch time .Enjoy the climb down, with possible multiple slides in the snow. It’s worth it.
Day 6: January 02, 2019 - Back from Base to Sankri (6 kms; 4 hours) , Altitude: 8,900ft – 6,400ft
We would try reaching Sankri at the earliest to ensure a good rest before a long drive the next day to Rishikesh. However, we would not wish for you to miss out on celebrating the climb to the summit and the view that followed suit.
Day 7: January 03, 2019 - Drive from Sankri to Dehradun
Retrace your footsteps back to where we started from and enjoy the drive to Dehradun. Spend some quality time in the bylanes of this budding city. Board the night train from Dehradun Railway Station to Delhi and bid adios to this beautiful small hamlet.
Day 8: January 04, 2019 - Arrival in Delhi/Mumbai
Its’ about time that we seek farewell from the mountains and head back to the city life, but only to return back soon.
Things to Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- Rucksack – If you are offloading your Rucksack, you will need a small daypack to carry your basic essentials
- Good trekking shoes and a pair of slip-ons, if required for campsite
- 2 Water Bottles (1 litre each)
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves and a pair of waterproof gloves
- Cotton socks and woolen socks (2 pairs each)
- Balaclava, Woolen scarf – If you do not have a Balaclava, you can carry Monkey cap instead
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket, Snow Jacket or Padded Jacket (1 each)
- Windcheater or Poncho
- 2-3 pairs of trek pants
- 2 collared and full sleeved t-shirts – Do not carry loose t-shirts as they tend to make you feel cold
- Camera or Binoculars
- Ready to eat snacks, Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D Powder – Carry nuts, dryfruits, energy bars to munch during the trek. They provide instant energy whenever it hits the lower base.
- Cap, Sunglasses – Do ensure that your sunglasses are UV Protected. Do not carry reflectors.
- Headlamp/LED Torch – Mandatory
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume – Please consult your doctor in this regard
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.