Grade: Easy – Moderate
Feel the essence of fresh winter snow upon lush green meadows as you begin your journey upon a road earmarked by tall pine trees. A carpet of leaves of the darkest brown will greet you at the very outset. Make sure to freeze your initial view of a frozen lake encompassing the campsite in your lens (or maybe even your handy 4G/3G camera phone). It will take a while to reach the summit, but oh! the complete 360 degree view of snow clad peaks of the Garhwal Himalayas is sure to take your breathe away.
From the serene and calm mountains to the absolute daring rapids of the Ganges, battle through the high currents of River Ganga, feeling aheadrushin the white waters atRishikesh before the New Year Bash 2018.
- For participants arriving from Mumbai by train, ensure that you board ‘12903 – Golden Temple Mail’, which departs from Mumbai Central Station at 09:25 PM. From Mumbai, you can also board the train from Borivali.
- Those joining from Delhi,please meet the Travel Trikon Team at 11:30 PM on December 24, 2017 at New Delhi Railway Station. From thereon, we shall board ‘12205 – Nanda Devi Express‘ and leave for Dehradun which departs at 11:50 PM.
- For departures, those flying out of Delhi, it is advisable to book a flight only after 10.00 PM
- For those opting for Option 1, kindly note that we shall take ‘12908 – Maharashtra Sampark Kranti’ departing from Nizamuddin Railway Station (i.e. Old Delhi Railway Station) at 09:35 PM
- Do note Missing the train means missing the event, no refunds would be entertained by Travel Trikon
What is included in the tour
- Stay in comfortable, clean and hygienic tents and guesthouse (Triple sharing basis)
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner from Day-2to Day-8
- Travel cost from Delhi to Dehradun and Rishikesh to Delhi (Option 1 and 2)
- Train fare from Mumbai to Delhi and back (Option 1)
- Breakfast on Day-9
- First aid medical kits and medical assistance during the trek
- Professional trek leads, event management fees and support staff
What is NOT included in the tour
- Cost Escalation due to natural reasons, obstructions, landslides etc.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the trek
- Offloading of bags during the trek
- Travel cost of arrival and departure from Delhi (In case of people opting for Option 2)
- Lunch and dinner costs on Day 9
- Other adventure activities except rafting, done by the participants
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusion
- Taxes as Applicable
- Surreal trek through the glistening white snow covered mountains
- Drive through “Queen of Hills” –Mussoorie and reach the astonishing village of Sankri located on a hill slope
- Get to touch the sky and get an eye level view of the famous mountain summits
- Catch glimpses of Swargarohini Peaks I, II, III, Bandarpooch and Blackpeak glistening and showcasting its beauty
- Forget the usual celebrations back in your city and bring in the New Year in an unique manner, battling the intense rapids of river Ganga through white-water rafting in Rishikesh
Day 0: Train Journey from Mumbai to Delhi (21 hours)(OPTIONAL)
If you are opting for Option 1 and travelling with Travel Trikon, it is time to bid goodbye to the ever active city of Mumbai and proceed towards the capital city of our nation – New Delhi. Meet the Travel Trikon Team at Mumbai Central Station at 8:45 PM. Missing your train means missing your trek. Make sure you reach the station at the allotted time and abide by the instructions given by your Trek Leader during the briefing. Catch some sleep on your train journey, as you have some thrill filled days lying ahead of you.
Day 1: Train Journey from Delhi to Dehradun (6 hours)
Meet the Travel TrikonTeamat the New Delhi Railway Station, if you are travelling on your own to Delhi. From one city to another city, hop on your Hogwarts Express and say adios to the never sleeping cities as you will be entering the magical world of Dehradun. As the night dawns upon us, make some connections with the fellow trekmatesas they are your extended family for next 7 days. Listen to their mountain stories and spread nothing but good vibes.
Day 2: Drive from Dehradun to Sankri (200kms; 10-11 hours)
Our drive to Sankri begins. The banks of the River Tons are a treat by themselves, especially so as they slowly give way to the ‘Queen of Hills’ (a.k.aMussoorie). Take a moment to take it all in. It will be late in the evening when we will reach the base village. We know the excitement of the following day may just keep you keep, but tired eyes may not get you very far. So enjoy a scrumptious meal and tuck in before the adventure begins!
Day 3: And it begins from Sankri to Juda-Ka-Talab (4 kms; 4-5 hours)
Altitude: 6,400ft – 9,100ft
And so it begins…the trail to JudakaTalab starts with a steep climb until we reach a ridge. It evens out soon after and spans out for almost the rest of the journey. A leaf out of a fairy tale, you will get to experience a short walk across wooden bridges, look across snow covered grounds that lay home to a few huts and cottages. It says, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and the beauty of the Kedarkantha trail magnifies as the ascent increases. Do keep an eye open for the Himalayan Langurs as they swing merrily between trees.
Day 4: Juda-ka-Talab to Kedarkantha Base (4 kms; 2.5 hours)
Altitude: 9,100 – 11,250ft
Start slow but make sure to finish strong! We begin day 3 with a slight climb up a ridge that also opens up into the darkest part of the pine forest (the constant companion to your stay in the hills). The climb will often be frequented by multiple clearings and expansive open meadows. You will ignore the beads of sweat lining your forehead as you gulp in the panoramic view of snow clad ranges encompassing the Kedarkantha Peak. The trio ranges of the Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag and Ranglana stand out. As the night descends, it is the view of the picturesque “Milky Way” that is going to fill your solus, and of course the anticipation of the summit climb that awaits.
Day 5: Hit the Summit, descend down to Hargaon (6 kms; 6-7 hours)
Altitude: 11,250ft – 12,500ft , Descent 8,900ft
On our day 4, the first of the many views will be that of the summit as we begin our ascent from camp. It is a gentle trail up and soon after a short dip, it circles back to into the depth of an oak forest (just for a little while-so make sure you let the Bollywood in you come out a little). The climb to the summit takes place through the northern ridge and includes a series of switchbacks to reach the Kedarkantha temple. After paying respects, it is then time to feel the fresh snow of the summit that offers a clear view of the Gangotri, Yamunotri and the KinnerKailash ranges. Stop. Relax. Just let the beauty of nature flow into your veins. We will not hurry you as you look around and gulp in the beauty of the snow-capped peaks and the whiteness of snow.
We return to the base camp for lunch, post which we begin our descent to Hargaon (situated on one of those expansive meadows we passed earlier on our way up). Enjoy the climb down. It’s worth it.
Day 6: December 29, 2017 – Back from Hargaonto Sankri (6 kms; 4 hours)
Altitude: 8,900ft – 6,400ft
We would try reaching Sankri at the earliest to ensure a good rest before a long drive the next day to Rishikesh. However, we would not wish for you to miss out on celebrating the climb to the summit and the view that followed suit.
Day 7:December 30, 2017 – Drive from Sankri to Rishikesh – Rafters’ World(8 hours)
Rishikesh. What better way to relax after a long drive than at a beautiful campsite on the banks of the River Ganges and also enjoy the bonfire under a moonlit-starlit sky.
Day 8: December 31, 2017 – Celebrate New Years’ with a party on the banks of The Mighty Ganges
A good night’s sleep followed by a hearty breakfast we set off for the adrenaline pump – a thrilling river rafting experience in the winter chills of the Ganges. The experience as our raft makes contact with the rapids and crosses over each are one to die for. We hit pause after rafting as we break for’ lunch, post which we let you indulge in mini trails around Rishikesh, games like beach football, volleyball or maybe indoor games (we could arrange some for you). End of yet another year. Beginning of a new one.
What better way to spend New Year’s than under a starlit sky with a bonfire at the banks of the Ganges. As this would also be the night our trek draws to a close, we would definitely want to celebrate the endurance you have personally shown and the trust you have bestowed upon us with music, food and dance!!
Day 9: January 01,2018 – Breakfast at Rishikesh and departure for Delhi
New Year Day.A lazy morning and a good breakfast. We will ensure to begin our departure by 10 am to target reaching the airport/station on time.
Day 10: January 02,2018 – Reach Mumbai by Evening
Things to Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- Rucksack – If you are offloading your Rucksack, you will need a small daypack to carry your basic essentials
- Good trekking shoes and a pair of slip-ons, if required for campsite
- 2 Water Bottles (1 litre each)
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves and a pair of waterproof gloves
- Cotton socks and woolen socks (2 pairs each)
- Balaclava, Woolen scarf – If you do not have a Balaclava, you can carry Monkey cap instead
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket, Snow Jacket or Padded Jacket (1 each)
- Windcheater or Poncho
- 2-3 pairs of trek pants
- 2 collared and full sleeved t-shirts – Do not carry loose t-shirts as they tend to make you feel cold
- Camera or Binoculars
- Ready to eat snacks, Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D Powder – Carry nuts, dryfruits, energy bars to munch during the trek. They provide instant energy whenever it hits the lower base.
- Cap, Sunglasses – Do ensure that your sunglasses are UV Protected. Do not carry reflectors.
- Headlamp/LED Torch – Mandatory
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume – Please consult your doctor in this regard
Consuming liquor or any kind of Alcoholic substance is prohibited. Carrying any kind of substance that’s illegal is not allowed. Smoking is strictly not allowed. Anybody found smoking or consuming alcoholic drinks will be expelled from the event without refund.
Fitness & Health – Though trekking is a fun-filled activity, it demands good amount of physical fitness. If you are under medication, please carry your medicines. During the trek, leaders will have over the counter medication for temporary treatment, so do give a heads up to them if you need any medical assistance.