Hornbill Festival & Dzokou Valley
About Hornbill Festival and Dzokou Valley:
Nagaland, the land of fascinating and hospitable tribes, is known as the ‘land of festivals’. The tribes here celebrate with gusto and infectious zest. Festivals are considered sacred and participation, though compulsory, is more by choice.Named after the respected and revered Hornbill bird, and held in the beautiful hills of Kohima, the festival is a time of merry making and colorful extravaganza, where all the tribes of Nagaland participate. During this time, there are tribal performances and ceremonies, display of ethnic crafts, sports, food fairs and games. A few highlights are – Traditional Naga Morungs, exhibition of arts and crafts, food stalls, flowers shows, display of herbal medicine, fashion shows, beauty contest, traditional archery and wrestling, local games, musical concert, elaborate dances, and folk songs.
Dzukou Valley, a lesser known pocket of paradise for trekkers and wanderers in search of solitude amidst nature, is situated at the border of Nagaland and Manipur. Located at 2438 meters above sea level and behind the Japfu Peak (Nagaland’s second highest), Dzukou Valley is believed to have gotten its name from its namesake river which means ‘cold waters’.The picturesque landscape offers a panoramic view of gentle rolling hills that are guaranteed to have a spellbinding effect.
● Our meeting time will be 10:30 PM at Guwahati Railway Station on 1st December, 2018. The railway station is about 45 mins away from the airport. Kindly choose your flights/trains accordingly.
● On 9th December, we would be arriving at Guwahati Railway Station at 4:45 am. Again, you can plan your exit travel accordingly.
Day 1: December 1, 2018 – Overnight Train Journey from Guwahati to Dimapur
Meet the Travel TrikonTeamat the Guwahati Railway Station. From one city to another city, hop on your Hogwarts Express and say adios to the never sleeping cities as you will be entering the magical world of Dimapur. As the night dawns upon us, make some connections with the fellow travellersas they are your extended family for next 7 days.
Day 2: December 2, 2018 - Drive to Kohima, Sighseeing and visit to Touphema Village
Our drive to Kohima. The journey is a treat by itself, especially so as they slowly give way to the hilly regions of Nagaland. As we reach there, we go for local sightseeing in and around Kohima. Also, we visit the lesser explored cultural village of Touphema. A trailer, just before it all begins!
Our stay for the night is at a homestay close to the venue for Hornbill.
Day 3: December 3, 2018–Dance your way into Hornbill Festival!
After breakfast, let’s make way to the festival! The excitement levels and the vibes around at it’s peak. Immerse yourself into the music, dances and laughter at Hornbill. Lost in the vibe, let’s enjoy the cultural bliss interacting with the people from the various warrior tribes.
We move to the campsite now, your stay kept within the festival premises, so as to catch the vibe all through!
Day 4: December 4, 2018–Drive/Ride on cycles to Khonoma Village and Enjoy Night Carnivals
A late morning, for sure! We drive to Khonoma and explore the mountain roads today! Highly recommended that you choose to hire a mountain bike for the same. It’s a 20-kms drive one way, may be a little tiring, but the adrenaline rush would be worth all the work! Once back, hog at your possible best, before we drive to the night carnivals located in the outskirts of Kohima.
We get back to our campsite, enjoying some bonfire nights while the cold sweeps in..
Day 5: December 5, 2018– Back where it all began! – Hornbill Festival
Time to be back at the festival! Embark on your balance journey at the grounds, exploring the households of the various tribes, trying local dishes including the most spicychilli in the world, BhutJolokia! Relax and enjoy the night along with preparing for the next adventure!
We continue to stay at the campsite, this night being our last one there!
Day 6: December 6, 2018–Thrilling trek to the mesmerizing Dzokou Valley
A trip to Nagaland is incomplete without some hiking. Given that, nothing can get better than the fascinating Dzokou Valley. It’s an easy trek considering the overall efforts involved. But completely worth the efforts. It begins with a steep climb for an hour, after which you can find lush green hills till as vast distances as your eyes can see.
Relax for the evening in the dormitory. The night could get pretty cold. Hence, grip your warm clothes on!
Day 7: December7, 2018–Explore the valley and return to civilization!
We begin our day with a walk down into the valley, where you will find a small frozen stream, magical as it can get, with green covered all around. Explore the surrounding caves and rocks before we begin our return journey back to Kohima.
Retreat back to the homestay. We are sure, a hot water bath awaits!
Day 8: December 8, 2018–it’s Wrap up time
Post breakfast, as we pack up, we take back immense memories from this fabulous place. We begin our drive back to Dimapur. We need to board the overnight train to Guwahati. It’s got to be a late and great night for us, maybe not so much for fellow travellers, though!
Day 9: December 9,2018 –Home calling
As we reach Guwahati in the early morning hours, its time to bid goodbye to all of you.
Trip ends with happy memories!
Things to Carry
- A photocopy of your Identity Proof (Passport / Voter ID Card/PAN Card/Aadhar Card/ Driving License)
- A small day pack for the trek to Dzokou Valley
- Good shoes and a pair of slip-ons
- Water Bottles
- Woolen or Fleece Gloves
- Cotton socks
- Thermal Inners
- Fleece Jacket
- 1 pair of trek clothes
- Other clothing of your choice
- Camera or Binoculars
- Ready to eat snacks
- Cap, Sunglasses
- Headlamp/ Torch
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, light towel, lip balm, wet wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer, Mosquito repellent, if required
- Polythene Bags or Zip-lock Bags – These help to segregate wet clothes, used wet wipes or sanitary napkins on trek
- Any medicines that you normally consume - Please consult your doctor in this regard
- The heavenly festival of dance, culture and food - Hornbill
- Surreal, off-beaten trek to Dzokou Valley
- An optional cycle ride to Khonoma Village
- Sightseeing in and around Kohima
- Night carnivals in Nagaland
What is included in the tour
- Stay in comfortable, clean and hygienic campsites and homestays (Triple sharing basis)
- 3-Tier AC Train from Guwahati to Dimapur and Return
- Breakfast and Dinner from Day-2 to Day-8
- Travel Trikon Expertise Charges
- Professional Support Staff during the trek to Dzokou Valley
What is NOT included in the tour
- Cost Escalation due to natural reasons, obstructions, landslides etc.
- Any personal expenses incurred during the trek
- Rental Expense of cycles
- Entry Expenses to the night carnivals and other concerts
- Anything other than above mentioned inclusions
- 5% GST