Coorg Backpacking Trip
Kodagu, also known as Coorg, is a rural district in the southwest Indian state of Karnataka. In the area’s north, Madikeri Fort has 2 life-size elephant statues at its entrance, plus a Gothic-style church with a museum on its grounds.
Nearby, the Hindu Omkareshwara Temple dates back to the 19th century. Farther north are the domed Raja’s Tomb, a burial place of Kodava kings, and cascading Abbey Falls.
Dubare Elephant camp is a project undertaken by forest department and Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd. This camp has plenty of elephants which are trained under naturalists. A trained Naturalist is at hand to explain the various aspects of Elephant history, ecology and biology. We will explore all these and many others like Nisargadhama, Bhagamandala, Bylakuppe and Talacauvery ,etc to name a few more.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation on Triple Sharing basis
- Breakfast and Dinner from Day 01 Breakfast to Day 04 Breakfast
- Entry Charges at the places
- Comfortable Private AC Vehicle as per the Itinerary
- Driver Allowance, parking fee, toll tax, and Govt., Service Tax
- Non AC Sleeper class train tickets from Mumbai to Mangalore and return
What is NOT included in the tour
- Lunch on all days
- All meals during train journey
- Personal expenditure
- Elephant interaction charges at Dubare Elephant Camp
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- The famous Abbey Falls
- Madikeri fort exploration
- Omkareshwara temple
- Dubare Elephant camp
- Bylakuppe - largest Tibetan settlement in South India
Day 00: 11 Aug 18: Mumbai / Mangalore
Meet Travel Trikon buddy at 11.00 AM on LTT railway station and board Netravati Express for Mangalore. Overnight in train.
Day 01: 12 Aug 18: Mangalore / Coorg - Madikeri
Arrive at Mangalore Railway station and drive to Coorg. On arrival check into resort, lunch & relax. Later proceed to visit Abbey falls. Tucked away between private coffee and spice estate, Madikeri Fort - The 19th century Madikeri fort with its stone ramparts now houses the prison. Visit Omkareshwara Temple - Built in 1820 and featuring a blend of red-tile roofed Kerala architecture and Islamic-style domes. Evening visit to Raja Seat is an enchanting picnic spot with a swathing in the nature's lap. Return to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 02: 13 Aug 18: Coorg - Madikeri
Early breakfast checkout and proceed to Dubare elephant camp which offers the 3 hour experience with Elephants consisting of elephant Grooming, feeding, elephant Ride & Coracle Ride. Later visit Cauvery Nisargadhama - an island formed by river Cauvery and is used as a picnic spot island, with lush foliage of thick bamboo groves. Lunch on the way and later visit Bylakuppe - largest Tibetan settlement in South India. The temple has 62 feet Buddha statues covered with gold plates is a wonderful sight anytime. Back to hotelfor overnight stay.
Day 03:14 Aug 18: Coorg - Madikeri
After morning breakfast, proceed to visit Bhagamandala - situated at the confluence of two rivers, the Cauvery and the Kanika. A third river, the Sujyothi is said to join from underground.Later visit Talacauvery - known as Dakshin Kashi which is the birthplace of river Cauvery at the foot of the breathtaking Brahmagiri Hills in Coorg. The river flows down inconspicuously as 'Guptagamini' from here before re-emerging after a small distance downwards at Nagateerta. Back to hotel for overnight stay.
Day 04: 15 Aug 18: Coorg – Madikeri / Mangalore:
Checkout and have morning breakfast. Drive to Mangalore Railway station to board Matsyagandha Express for home. Overnight in train.
Day 05: 16 Aug 18: Coorg – Mangalore / Mumbai:
Reach LTT Mumbai by 6.30 AM.
Things to Carry
- A lightweight Haversack or Backpack, and a smaller Day Sack (Avoid Suitcases)
- Good pair of shoes, and a pair of flip-flops
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Camera, Binoculars (Optional)
- Toiletries – Sunscreen, Moisturizer, Light towel, Lip balm, Wet wipes, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Hand Sanitizer
- Extra Polythene Bags (To segregate used/ unused garments, wet/ dry clothing)
- Any medicines that you consume normally, post consulting a doctor
- Rain coat/jacket and/or Umbrella