Winter Birding at Karnala
The monsoons have left behind a lush and green forest, teeming with life. And the wonderful winter, the best season for birding is here. Take a walk through the woods with us and spot the resident as well as the migratory birds such as the Ashy Drongo, Bronzed Drongo, White-bellied Drongo, Heart-spotted woodpeckers, Asian Paradise Flycatcher, Gold fronted leafbird, Purple Sunbird, Purple –rumped Sunbird, Petronia, Golden Oriole, Black hooded Oriole, Common Iora, Red Whiskered Bulbul, Red vented Bulbul, Brown throated Barbet, Crested Hawk Eagle, Barred Jungle Owlet, etc.
The Karnala Bird Sanctuary lies in the Sahyadri hills about 60 km from Mumbai and about 12 km from Panvel. Karnala is popular as picnic spotand is a birder’s paradise. The sanctuary is also famous for the 11th century fort of the same name. It is quite small at about 12.11 sq km in Raigad district of Maharashtra and comprises of moist deciduous forest.
Those interested in photography can get some very helpful tips in bird photography from Photographer Viral Patel.
• Please be punctual, as there will be more bird activity early morning.
• Please wear dull color clothes as birds are very sensitive to colors and will immediately spot bright colors and take off before we can see them.
• Please carry minimum plastics as every plastic item will be counted at entry gate and you will need to pay a deposit to carry it inside and will receive deposit back only if you bring it outside again.
• Participants are requested to be as quiet as possible so as to be able to spot more birds.
• Please do not litter.
• No smoking and alcohol allowed